Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Baby eaglet

Black eyes with grey pupils, occasional blinking would reveal silvery eyelids.... it lay there, crouched, helpless, and frightened to death. After all the initial commotion and hushed oohs and aahs, it lay forgotten, battered and unattended.

I wondered what all the noise was about as I climbed up the stairs of hostel, and i saw instantly a sight that was hard to miss

Because it was the most beautiful and heartbreaking sight. A magnificent eagle, lay at the corner of the balcony, for a moment i felt as helpless as the eagle.

"Ooh what happened"...Rims was as awestruck as I, we just stood and gasped at the sight. What do we do? What do we do? Flurry of phone calls, and finally Harsha comes from PFA(people for animals). By this time, we were fast friends with it, Rims was playing radio mirchi songs to him, and we were in the process of baptising our friend.

"it so clichéd",...said rims sounding disgusted, and wouldnt let me name him Angel.

Harsha spread his beautiful wings, and I was scared,

" he’s not had water for a couple of days, so has fainted of dehydration, he’s barely 20 days old"


"Ooh a baby eaglet!

"A baby eaglet...there's no such thing as baby eaglet".

We fed him water, and he was up in minutes. "Can he fly"

"sure, in about a month"!

"That long"?

"Yeah, coz it cant hunt yet"

"so its really a baby eaglet"

"i said there aint nothing known as......"

"Where are you going to take him?"

"Animal hospital"

"can we come visit him"

"we have about fifty birds, you wont recognise him"

Harsh then put eaglet in a shoe box...and I made one last desperate attempt ."can I carry him"

"uh, no thanks".... And he was gone,

We named him eaglet (and that’s not clichéd?)


Phone rings an hour later saying he's in the ICU and will be fine.
Some how the image of eaglet in ICU on the ventilator and nurses fussing over him cracks me up.
"You can visit Saturday’s and Sundays", which cracks me up further.

I don’t think I’ll visit him,
One day when I look up at the sky, I wouldn’t be surprised to see my angel...er...eaglet soaring high watching over me.
And who says I wont recognise him.

5 comments:

Ree said...

And then when he soars high up, maybe we finally will manage to get a pic of him, wotsay?

angel ugh...eaglet, ahem :)

wozzinaname,da?

i loooooooved the way it drank water, hehe

Sh'shank said...

hmmm so where was this egalet found?
recognise him... hmm u just might...
and whos to say if u dont

Pavitra said...

awwww....an eaglet on the ground....do you know how rare that is?? And a guy actually came from PFA??? Whoa dats progress! Remember the horse we found in the middle of mall road in Blr and the SPCA wouldn't come! :)
Whats to say he won't recognise you?

Alistair D'souza said...

my sisters and me looked after some bulbuls when we were small... they were kept in a tree beside our home but then a cat ate one and a crow ate another.... we cried and cried and were down for a couple of days... :-)

never kept a pet bird after that.... they need to be free and need to fly high.... :-) just like everything else....

Krishna Kalyan said...

dude ur blogs are the best
this one is so easy to understand and it felt like i was there keep it up SIS